Author: Howe Wee Chong
Date: 11-30-06 00:08
I think I get it now.
Meizhou City is a municipality, i.e. an administrative capital, of Meizhou region which covers Meijiang District, Xingning City (county level) and 6 counties - Meixian, Dapu, Fengshun, Wuhua, Pingyuan and Jiaoling.
Meizhou has a long history. The region was first named as:
- Meizhou in 971AD during the Southern Song Dynasty (960AD to 1279AD), then
- Meizhou Prefecture was set up during the Yuan Dynasty (1271AD to 1368AD), then
- Merged into Chaozhao Prefecture during the Ming Dynasty (1368AD to 1644AD), then
- Put under the jurisdiction of Jiaying Region in 1734AD during the Qing Dynasty (1619AD to 1911AD), then
- Under the jurisdiction of Chaoxu Dao under the Republic of China (1912AD to 1949AD), then
- Established as Xingmei Prefecture in 1949AD after the founding of People’s Republic of China, then
- Reset as Meixian Prefecture in 1965AD, then
- Renamed as Meixian Region in 1970, and finally
- Re-established as Meizhou Municipality in 1988 with the government in Meijiang District
I have no more query this topic now
"Author: Howe Wee Chong
Date: 11-27-06 12:15
I'm a bit confused now.
According to Wikipedia (the online encyclopedia), it says Meixian is a county encircling Meizhou a district. Then under Meizhou it says Meizhou has jurisdiction over Meixian a county. Is a county bigger than a district, or vice versa? And what is a perfecture - district or county?
Then there is this website: www.getgd.net/gd_city/meizou/mzintr.e.html that makes it more confusing than ever. So where is Moiyen now (where my parents came from) - in Meizian or Meizhou?
Can someone enlighten me over this?"